A few weeks ago on a living room remodel the customer requested minor electrical be done to 'update' the room. We added a few can lights over a beautiful fireplace, relocated some outlets and added a ceiling fan/light to the center of the room to move that new heat source around the room in the winter time and help with air circulation in the summer. Well, while we were adding the fan box we found junction boxes like this above the ceiling that were not accessible. Under the Residential Electrical Code junction boxes can not be "inaccessible". What made matters worse was that the boxes we found were grossly over loaded with wires. Each box has a limit which is called "box fill". Each wire of each size has a certain number of cubes. Each box has a maximum cube rating. Packing wires into a box just causes problems and it did in this case. We removed this box from the circuit and ended up rewiring not only the lights in the living room but also the kitchen. The unsafe conditions in this home were repaired, in fact, the local electrical inspector THANKED me and the electrician for fixing this. This work that was done previously was done without a permit and not inspected. It was a safety hazard to the home. Please hire a qualified contractor for all of your work. Doing otherwise will only cause you issues later.
Hitting Home Blog
Jon Bronemann - author of "The Hitting Home" blog. Check it out and you will see what I see everyday and why hiring a quality contractor is so very, very important. Seeing is believing and it really does "Hit Home".